www.truckstopcanada.ca
www.brummionline.com
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: Since winter is fast approaching, how about some winter.....

1. Default Since winter is fast approaching, how about some winter.....

1. Keep that Jake Brake off when you're on icy roads.
    By running your Jakes on ice, they can cause your drive tires to lock up in icy conditions, causing you to jack knife.

2. Increase your following distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
    It takes even longer to slow down or stop on snowy and icy roads.

3. Slow down.
    Self explanitory

4. Don't make quick steering adjustments.
    Doing so can cause you to jack knife if you loose traction.

5. Find out road conditions for the areas you're traveling into each day.
    Check them often.

6. When they reopen a road, wait and hour or two before you take off again.
    Drivers will be anxious to get to their destination and the roads will be like the first 5 laps of the Indy 500. I've seen many accidents within the first 5 miles of the truckstop when they finally open a road. Let them 'beat up' the ice still on the roads. By letting them go first, they will help the sand and salt break up the ice on the roadway.

My personal preference on chaining up is this;
    If the weather is nasty enough to chain up, it's too nasty to be on the road. There's enough idiots out there already. It's easier to reschedule a delivery than it is to pick up the load out of a ditch.

I know I've missed some things, so add them to the list.

Big Dave from TruckStopUSA

more on that topic
    http://www.truckstopusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4666
    OOIDA Member
    I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

thanks big dave,all very good information.

but no matter how badly out of control i get on snow and ice,i'll never jacknife my lil' ol' straight truck.

no sidecar you will just go round & round & plop :
    ALL WAYS GO FORWARD NEVER LOOK BACK
    OTR 37 YEARS
    JOIN OOIDA 712191

its a good idea to not only slow down on the road but to also slow down on everything you do. i once helped a driver that had broke his ankle after he slipped getting out of his truck. remember ice builds up on them steps too. keep them windows and mirrors clean always. i honestly dont know how some people back up their trucks with all the road grime on them mirrors. drive safe.
    sam

A little piece from my buddy Magic Dick in regards to expediter straight trucks in the winter. If you feel the truck start to skid or slide while driving , there is no traction on your rear tires. LET OFF the brake, and the truck will magically straighten itself out with little or no steering input.

-UT-

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Truck
    A little piece from my buddy Magic Dick in regards to expediter straight trucks in the winter. If you feel the truck start to skid or slide while driving , there is no traction on your rear tires. LET OFF the brake, and the truck will magically straighten itself out with little or no steering input.

-UT-
    remember "a skidding tire wants to lead the parade" meaning if the rears are skidding they want to move to the front of the viehicle. letting off the brakes should relieve the skidding and the vehicle should straighten itself out and be more controlable.

Default winter driving tips

You know what would be great? If you all would give some advice on winter driving for us 4-wheelers. It could be a segment on the radio show: winter driving tips from the professionals

I'll share a few of your tips each week on the radio show - and give you credit for them - either with your EW name or your real name.
    OR
    you could take turns calling in and give the driving tip - it would be like a 3 minute segment. I prefer this option.

And I need tips for vehicles with and without ABS

It would help us all out because we all will be safer.

What do you think?
    We must be the change in the world that we want to see. Ghandi

8. Default

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA SHERYL AND I HOPE OUR PROFIS WILL PICK IT UP
    OOIDA Member
    I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

That's a great idea. I'm not a trucker, but I know the drivers have some good advice.

I think it would be a very good way to let people know that they need to pay extra special attention when driving with or around trucks on slick roads.
    Arky

Thank you. So please share some tips, and let me know if you're willing to share them on the radio show.
    We must be the change in the world that we want to see. Ghandi