www.truckstopcanada.ca
www.truckstopuk.co.uk
www.brummionline.com
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: Eaton 6 Speed Transmission

Default Eaton 6 Speed Transmission

We were under load heading from Mass. to Chicago when we lost 6th gear between Syracuse and Rochester NY. As the result of the transmission problem, a scored case, the transmission couldn't be repaired or rebuilt. We are having a 9 speed installed and will be on the road in 48 hours.

Has anyone else had problems with this transmission? According to our mechanic, who spoke to Eaton, this transmissin is to small for the FL80 we are driving and the type of work we are doing. According to the Eaton Rep. the 9 speed will provide us with better fuel economy, and more power for pulls without the constant downshifting.

I am just wondering if other drivers/owners have had this problem, and if so what kind of truck you are driving/operating?

Default WELCOME

NICE TO HAVE YOU BACK kswish !!!!
    ExpediterWorld
    your inside source for expediting information

Glad to see your back around Ks...I saw your name in the memberlist, but couldn't remember seeing you on the boards.

Uncle Truck is on the road, but he does have a laptop and checks in every couple of days. I'm sure he'll have some info. for you on the transmission.

Arky

Eaton's 6 speed synchros (FS6306, 6406, etc) are very durable trannies in light to medium duty applications. If not pressed beyond their torque limits, they hold out well, and can even be power shifted without trouble. I know of a few quirks with them, but all out failures with them are rare, and repairs are generally easy to tackle.

Yes, a 9 speed replacement is a good option for an all out shot 6 speed synchro and if set up right can give you better mileage but... I don't know of any Eaton 9 speed that is synchronized. If you (or wife, etc) has not shifted a non synchronized manual transmission, you or they will be in for a treat. They are not very forgiving, and must be double clutched or properly shifted on time under power during both up and down shifts or it is grind city. They take a LOT of getting used to, and after 2 years with a 10 speed non-synchro I have still not perfected shifting the thing, and it can get very aggravating at low speeds with a lightweight straight truck.
    The switch is one to consider seriously if you are used to the ease of a synchronized manual tranny.

Drive Safely,
    UT